Monday, May 18, 2009

For my first post I have . . . chickens!

Thanks to the Chicken Whisperer (my brother-in-law Ryan), we now are the proud owners of 6 chickens. We have 5 Americaunas who will lay green eggs when they're big enough to squeeze 'em out, and one little tiny frizzy or whatever she is, cute as a button. Mesa city code says that on an acre or less we can have up to 10 chickens, as long as the coop is so many feet away from other houses.

So the plan is to add 4 or 5 more Barred Rocks (they'll lay brown eggs) to the brood so we can be fight the man and be corporate-egg-independent . . . Nah, I'm too lazy for that, I'm really just doing it for fun. So any of ya'll who'll want eggs, just holler, we'll sell them for the low, low price of $20.00/dozen. Primo grade AAAAA eggs ya dig?

Any takers?

Oh and in two or so years we get to eat 'em. And then start all over again. Yummy. What could be more fun?

P.S. To add to the experience, I visited the Mesa Feed Barn, which I thought was defunct, and it's weird because it's a farmy-oasis-thing in the middle of downtown Mesa. And for anyone who cares they sell chick crumbles for $0.40 per pound.

Lovell—out.

6 comments:

  1. What he didn't tell you, is that he tried to pass his new chickens off as my mother's day present. Like I really want five more eating, pooping and mess making little creatures around here ;)!

    P.S. I feel like chicken tonight, like chicken tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ammon that is so not cool! You need to get your wife something amazing for mother's day. I would have punched you if it were me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ammon, do I need to start calling you Jan 20, Feb 13, the sat before Mother's day, and Dec 23?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No thanks my mother-in-law already does. Plus I was just joking. LAY OFF LADIES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also noticed you put clever and ingenious on the label. Now isn't that being redundant, Ammon? Isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie you should know that I never can be too descriptive of my greatness.

    ReplyDelete